Friday, November 14, 2008

ESC== Electronic Social Club

Today Iva and I went to the [ESC] at Hunter College. It was an event that shows current MFA students' work (or thesis) from Parsons DT, PRATT, IPT, Hunter College, etc. Too bad I didn't bring my camera with me to take pictures. Not only it was an event to see students' work from other schools, also a good time to get to know them and also to broaden our art network. Some of the projects are pretty interesting. I scanned one of the project description from the programm brochure:


This piece was an interactive device that senses the speed of hand motion to change the pace and pitch accordingly. If I lay my palm on the sensor, the sound will be played slower and slower till it stops. It is more involved in physical computing and programming.

We saw there's a second year (Drew Cogbill) from our DT presenting his half-way done thesis. The thesis was called "Pigeon." It is a mobile networking between people or family that let user shout out to the world in 1 minute. More like talking to the voice mailbox, and people can access to hear your feelings, opinions, or updates. Sounds like mobile or audio facebook to me if I am correct to interpret the project to my understanding. He did a demo for us by calling the number: 713-574-9488. It worked! Then, follow the voice instruction to sign up an account.

I absorbed so much today, and hopefully I am able to present in that place one day. XD

No comments: